Meatballs in a rich tomato sauce
Easy to make, this great tasting meatball recipe uses Hill House Farm grass-fed, native minced beef with a rich tomato sauce.
Ideal to serve for lunch or dinner with linguine or spaghetti and a sprinkling of freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Makes: 24 meatballs
Ready in : approx 30 mins
For the meatballs
660g Hill House Farm Minced Beef
100g Shallots, very finely chopped
1 Egg yolk
1 tbsp fresh Oregano, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh Rosemary, finely chopped
30g Parmesan, finely grated
Salt & black pepper
For the sauce
Olive Oil for frying
150g Shallots, finely chopped
3 Garlic Cloves, finely minced
2 tbsp Tomato Puree
2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
100 mls Red Wine
½ can,Tomatoes (canned)
2 tsp Sugar
Fresh Basil, 1 small bunch
Salt & pepper to season
1. To make the meatballs place the minced beef with all the ingredients into a bowl, squeeze and mix everything together, hand roll 24 balls weighing around 30g each. Alternatively place everything into a food processor and pulse 3-4 times, remove and form the balls.
3. Heat some oil in a large sauté pan, fry the meatballs in the oil (you may have to do this in batches) until the meatballs are brown, cooked right through and piping hot. Remove from the pan, cover and reserve.
4. Wipe the pan and heat a little more oil up, add in and fry the shallots over a low heat for 4-5 minutes until softened. stirring regularly. Add the garlic and cook for a few seconds more.
5. Add in the tomato puree, red wine vinegar, red wine, passata, the tomatoes and lastly the sugar and simmer until the sauce reduces and thickens. Stirring regularly for around 20 minutes.
6. Add in a splash of water or wine to loosen the sauce, if needed, season to taste, chop the basil up and stir though the sauce.
7. Place the meatballs back in the sauce, fully heat them through and serve with linguine or spaghetti and a good grating of fresh parmesan.